It was no surprise to read on Wikipedia that Ray Davies of the Kinks admitted David Watts is a real person (a concert promoter in Rutland). I expect Paul Weller had a similar individual in mind when he suggested The Jam cover the song – despite the fact he didn’t want to sing it himself.
We all know a David Watts. That someone who is insufferably good at everything and a success in all they do.
Someone like Dr Stephen Ferguson.
According to his website, Ferguson (who has TWO PhDs) is:
- The most qualified natural health doctor in the world with over 200 letters after his name.
- Master Chef – worked at the Dorchester Hotel and a number of other 5 Star Hotels and Mitchelin (sic) Star Restaurants
- Advanced Psychotherapist
- Former Mr. Titan Natural Bodybuilding Champion
- Author of a best selling book
- Bones and Joints Specialist
- Drama Therapist
- Advanced Reflexologist
- Advanced Herbalist
- Advanced Biochemic Medicine Specialist
- … and much more
It’s not clear from all this if he’s actually a medical doctor but I suppose strictly speaking, he is Two Doctors…
And there’s more…
If you check out the Product Description of his ‘best selling book’ on Amazon, you will learn:
- At the age of 11 he performed as a break dancer in London clubs
- At the age of 15 he was a gang leader
- He would sometimes work for 20 hours a day in very high standard hotels
- In just 12 weeks he transformed his body, going from a 40 inch to a 26 inch waist
- He has worked in ‘way over’ 150 catering establishments
I could go on. He has over twenty years’ experience in food science… He rubs shoulders with celebrities, such as James Caan and Mark Wingett off The Bill… He has self cured himself of at least eleven conditions, including asthma, high blood pressure and arthritis all over his body to the point that he could hardly move his arms…
I think even David Watts would be jealous.
EDIT (12/10/11) I have revisited Ferguson’s site after discovering that he is currently running a Groupon promotion only to find that he now has THREE PhDs!